Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Scritch Scratch by Lindsay Currie

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade story came to me via #bookexpedition.  This is my Twitter reading group that shares Arc's to spread the book love.  I had heard a lot about the novel so I was excited to read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Claire is less than happy when she has to help her father on his job.

2.  *She is even more unhappy when the job lands her on a "ghost tour" bus through downtown Chicago.  



3.  *While on the tour, Claire thinks she is the last person on the bus during one of the stops, but soon realizes she is not.  This is her first "encounter" with the ghost.  

4.  *At first she thinks she may be imagining things, but then the ghost shows up at Claire's home.  

5.  *With the help of her family, and friends, Claire begins a search for the ghost boy to find out what he wants and why he is "haunting" her. 
 

What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was a great middle-grade story that grabbed my attention at the get-go and held on to the very end.  

2.  *I'm not always a fan of "scary" stories, but this was enjoyable, mysterious, and interesting.  

3.  *Even though there were some middle-grade scary scenes, I found myself reading late into the night.  I just hoped I wouldn't hear any "scritch scratching" behind my own doors.  

4.  *The plot "lines" work perfectly and I enjoyed how Lindsay wove connections between Claire's story and the ghost from the past.  

5.  *The author wrote a fantastic story blending wonderful characters with lots of mystery, suspense, and intrigue. 


Who Should Read It:

*This will be the perfect book for young readers in the fall of 2020; especially around Halloween time.  I think the novel would be so fun to read to a class and experience the "scary" together.  Individual readers in grades three through six would be ideal.  Of course middle-school kids would also get a "fright" out of Claire's adventure.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment