Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, April 10, 2020

When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald

How I Heard About It:
*Even though I spend most of my time reading middle-grade novels, I always enjoy an adult novel page-turner.  I don't remember exactly where, but I read a positive review of the story and decided to purchase a hard-copy.  The last few weeks have been crazy, but I recently finished. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *Zelda is a twenty-one young women living with her older brother Gert.

2.  *Gert is the older brother who makes it a priority to protect his sister Zelda.


3.  *AK47 is the former girlfriend of Gert's, but always a support and friend to Zelda.

4.  *All three of them depend on each other in a variety of ways after each overcoming hardships.

5.  *When Gert makes some bad decisions, Zelda and AK47 come together to keep their "family" together.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The story of Zelda, Gert, and AK47 was told beautifully through the words of author Andrew David MacDonald.  

2.  *I appreciated the way Zelda was brought to life and I was able to relate to her feelings, thoughts, and experiences.  

3.  *The novel is definitely a character study, but there is also plenty of mystery and suspense.

4.  *The characters were authentic with both positive and negative qualities like all humans have.  

5.  *I loved how Zelda and Gert lived by a Viking "code" and how the code helps them navigate through life. 


Who Should Read It:

*All adult readers who enjoy a strong fictional story with strong and real characters should definitely put this title on their "to be read " list.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars 



No comments:

Post a Comment