Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Parked by Danielle Svetcov

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel came to me via the publisher.  I was intrigued by the cover and title, but didn't know anything about the story.  I went into the story with great anticipation and recently finished with great satisfaction. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *Meet Jeanne Ann and Cal.  They come from opposite sides of the country and from two very different worlds.  

2.  *Jeanne Ann and her mother pack up their belongings into their orange van and head from Chicago to San Francisco.  

3.  *Cal has just gotten in trouble at school for his display of "art".  His mother isn't sure what to do with him anymore.  

4.  *Jeanne Ann ends up living across the street from Cal's impressive home; in her orange van.  

5.  *Jeanne Ann tries everything in her power to help her mother land a job in the new city, while Cal does everything he can to help both his new friend and himself as they both head toward seventh grade. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The plot was unique, fresh, and thought-provoking.  

2.  *Cal and Jeanne Ann were original, human, and heart-warming.  

3.  *I enjoyed reading about both these characters, how they came to know each other, and how they affected the lives of their new friends.  

4.  *The story tackles some very important and real-life issues such as poverty, homelessness, and employment.  Although these are heavy topics, the author presented them in a kid-friendly fashion.  

5.  *As much as I enjoyed the story, I did find myself losing a bit of interest toward the because the novel is quite long at almost 400 pages. 


Who Should Read It:

*Because of the length of the story and the pace of the plot, I would recommend this new novel to readers in grades five and above.  I also believe the subject matter would be better appreciated by middle-school readers.  The story has a lot to offer the young reader.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment