Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Gravity of Us by Phil Stamper

How I Heard About It:
*While browsing for a young-adult novel to read I came across this title.  After a bit of online research, I decided to purchase a hard copy of the novel.  I finished the book late last night.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *Cal, who is seventeen years old, lives in New York city and has a large presence on social media.  

2.  *The world of NASA is focused on a space mission to Mars.  


3.  *When Cal's father, who is a pilot, becomes the newest member of the possible crew to Mars, Cal finds himself in a whole new social media "circus".

4.  *Cal's family relocates to Texas along with the other crew member families.  Cal thought he enjoyed being on social media, but after this move, he isn't so sure.  

5.  *Cal meets Leon; the two of them must deal with a reality show following the mission, the scrutiny of NASA, and their feelings for each other. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This young-adult novel was enjoyable and interesting to read.

2.  *As I read, I enjoyed how the author mixed our "real" world with the "fictional" world of the story.

3.  *The further I got into the plot, the more mystery began surrounding the reality show and the interactions of NASA.

4.  *In my opinion, some sections of the story moved at a bit of a slow pace, but overall I was curious about Cal's world and what was going to happen.

5.  *I enjoyed the characters, but in some ways, didn't feel like I got to know them as well as I have in some other young-adult novels.  


Who Should Read It:

*The book would definitely be for readers in high-school and/or college.  Adult readers would also enjoy the journey that Cal took during this time in his life.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment