Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourey

How I Heard About It:
*While in Denver visiting my son for his birthday, we stopped by a local bookshop and I came across this title.  After reading the book blurb, I decided to purchase the novel.  I didn't get to the story right away, but finished it during my spring break 2020.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *At the beginning of the novel, the author shares the story comes from her hometown in Minnesota that took place in the 1980's.  

2. *The story centers around middle-school student Cassie.  She lives in a small town with her older sister and their parents.  

3.  *From the outside, their family appears to be a "typical" Minnesota family.  Behind closed doors, there may be something else going on.  

4.  *Young boys begin to disappear, and then return. Upon their return they are changed.  

5.  *Cassie decides to take it upon herself to find out what is happening with the local boys and who and who is not responsible. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I began the book, I realized it had been awhile since I had read a good "old" mystery.  

2.  *As I read, I was of course interested in the Minnesota history within the story being that I have grown up in the state.  

3.  *There were actually two mysteries within the book.  The first one was what was going on inside of Cassie's home with the second mystery focusing on who was responsible for the missing boys.

4.  *There were some disturbing scenes within the story, but I reminded myself the story was based on actual events and I also know these type of horrific events occur in our world.

5.  *I think the author did a fantastic job of creating a strong cast of characters which left me wondering who was actually responsible for the horrible crimes. 


Who Should Read It:

*I believe the story would be enjoyed by most adult readers.  If you are from Minnesota, then you may also be drawn to the story.  As I mentioned, some subject matter is upsetting.  I just think you should know ahead of buying the book.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment