Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 18, 2021

Birdie and Me by J.M.M. Nuanez

How I Heard About It:
*I have had this novel by my bedside for quite some time.  A reading friend recommended it.  I actually ended up listening to the audio version of the story via Audible.  Such a strong and incredible story!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Jack, the older sister to Birdie, who will do anything to protect her younger sibling.

*Meet Birdie, the younger sibling to Jack, who has a flare for fashion and isn't always accepted by people both in and out of school.

*Jack and Birdie are left alone after their mother dies.

*They are sent to live with one uncle and then to a second uncle's home.  Each one quite different from each other.

*Each member of the newly formed family must find a way to not only accept themselves, but those they are trying to know and live with.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The characters drove the story and I'm still thinking about them to this day.

*I loved that Birdie wasn't defined and stood his ground.  

*Jack was one of those siblings that every brother/sister deserve.

*The life lessons were strong, realistic, and gave much to ponder on.

*I'm so glad I finally read this middle-grade novel.  Just sad it took me so long to get to.


Who Should Read It:
*This would be an excellent class read aloud for any fifth and/or sixth grade classroom.  The class discussions would be meaningful, thoughtful, and deep.  Middle-school readers would also be an ideal target audience for Jack and Birdie's story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment