Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Magical Imperfect by Chris Baron

How I Heard About It:
*After reading All of Me by Chris Baron, I looked forward to reading more of his writing.  When I saw I could download and E-Galley of his newest novel, I was thrilled.  This was the book story I read while on spring break vacaiton.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*After his mother leaves, Etan decides not to speak anymore.

*He finds comfort in his own world, and also in helping a neighborhood business.

*When he is asked to deliver a package, Etan meets another lonely child who has decided not to attend school.

*Malia has found refuge in the safety of her own home where she doesn't have to deal with the harsh comments and treatments of the other children.  

*Etan and Malia form a unique friendship where they learn about their differences and similarities.  



What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Chris Baron has a beautiful way with words in his second free-verse story.  

*The characters of Etan and Malia are authentic, sincere, and heart felt.

*The story tackles issues that aren't normally addressed in middle-grade novels.  I enjoyed reading about both characters and what they were dealing with.  

*The plot flowed from sentence to sentence, page to page, and beginning to end.  I read it in one sitting poolside.

*The themes of friendship, differences, and family came through loud and clear.  So many wonderful aspects of life to discuss.


Who Should Read It:
I would use this novel in classrooms of fourth, fifth, and sixth graders.  The story would make for a wonderful class read aloud and/or for individual children to read.  Middle-school readers would also be ideal for the free-verse story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment