Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Shape of Thunder by Jasmine Warga

How I Heard About It:
*One of my favorite middle-grade novels is Other Words for Home.  When I downloaded the E-Galley of The Shape of Thunder, I knew I was in for another powerful and important reading experience.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Cora and Quinn used to be best friends.  They aren't any longer.

*They haven't spoken in over a year.  

*Cora is dealing with the death of an older sister.  Quinn is dealing with the horrific event that he older brother was responsible for.

*During the last year, each girl has tried to go their own way and hasn't found much happiness or peace.  

*When they come back together, each has their own motives, but together they hope to bring some sense of closure to both their losses.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Love, love, loved the story.  

*Jasmine Warga tackled a difficult subject, but was able to convey the "seriousness" with an emotional and meaningful story.

*I was also in awe of how she was able to share the story in a way that young reader will be able to handle, take in, and learn from.  

*Both characters came off the page and presented an important aspect of two sides of a story.  

*The plot, characters, and setting (time-travel) will lead to important and thoughtful discussions.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, I would say the novel would be best suited for readers in grades four and above.  There are some difficult and real-life topics shared within the story, and I think readers ten and up would be able to handle the content without any issues.  A story that is important, timely, and must be shared. Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment