Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 22, 2023

All the Broken Places by John Boyne

How I Heard About It:
*With the start of the new year, it was time to gather new titles for my BBC (Boy's Book Club) which is a group of male teachers in my building.  A list of about ten titles were brought to our first gathering of 2023, and this title was chosen for our first year of the year.  And what a read it was!


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Gretel is in her early nineties and has quite a life.  

*When she was twelve years old, she was the daughter of a Nazi leader.  

*She refuses to discuss the past, especially when it comes to her younger brother.

*She and her mother traveled to France, then Gretel found herself in Australia, and finally ending up in England where she remained for the rest of her life.

*When a new family moves into a flat in her building, her past, present, and future collide in a most incredible manner.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*It has been quite some time since I started a novel published for adults and became completely immersed in the story.  So much so, I spent the entire day and evening reading.  

*I believe I read The Boy in Striped Pajamas years ago, but can't quite remember the details of the story. That did not prohibit me from enjoying this "sequel".

*The writing was incredible and the images flew off the page and into my mind and heart.

*I loved how the story switched from present day (when Gretel was in her nineties) to past times in her life when she was younger.

*I wouldn't classify this as a "page-turner", but it actually was and I could NOT stop reading until I found out what happened to all of the characters.  Lots of emotions felt while reading.


Who Should Read It:
*Everyone!  Happy Reading...


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment