Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 22, 2023

We are Wolves by Katrina Nannestad

How I Heard About It:
*A few of my reading friends recommended this middle-grade title to me.  The novel sat in my TBR pile for quite some time.  Today was a typical Minnesota January Sunday with lots of snow and gloomy skies.  The perfect day to hunker down with a great book.  This was the one I grabbed from the pile.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*World War II is coming to an end and the Russians are on their way to East Prussia.

*After Liesl's father goes missing, her mother packs up what they can carry, and flees with Liesl, and her two younger siblings.

*While on the run, the three children are separated from their mother during a horrific blizzard.  

*It is up to Liesl to keep her family together and safe from all the dangers in the "forest".  

*The three children find refuge in a variety of places and with a variety of people.  Some of whom bring safety while other bring danger and the unknown.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*I started the story early Sunday afternoon and wrapped it up a couple hours later.

*It was interesting because I just finished All the Broken Places by John Boyne which is a novel published  for adults dealing the the aftermath of WWII.  

*I found the story to be engaging, heart-wrenching, and quite the page-turner.

*This subject matter was not something I was completely familiar with so I learned quite a bit while reading.  

*The story was broken into a variety of "sections" all dealing with the various stages of being a wolf.  This format worked so well for the overall plot.


Who Should Read It:
*I think the book would make for a strong and meaningful class read aloud in grades four, five, and/or six.  Middle-school classrooms would also be perfect to listen to the journey of Liesl and her siblings.  Upper elementary, middle-school, and high-school readers would be perfect to read the book on their own.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment