Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Meet Me Halfway by Anika Fajardo

How I Heard About It:
*I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of the novel from Simon & Schuster.  I had previously read What If a Fish.  I spent a winter break afternoon reading about Mattie and Mercedes.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Mattie - she just moved from Minnesota to California now that her mother has remarried. 

*Meet Mercedes - she lives in California, is popular, but would like her mother around more often.

*When Mattie begins her new school, she isn't the only one who is surprised by how much she resembles Mercedes.  

*After a bit of digging, the two girls realize they are related by having the same father.  

*Even though they couldn't be more different, Mattie and Mercedes "team up" to find the man they have in common.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*The premise was quite interesting and I was intrigued to find out how the situation came to be about.

*I loved how different each girl was from each other but how they came together to accomplish their goals.

*Being from Minnesota, I of course loved the local references.  

*The chapters were told from alternating points of view which allowed me to get to know each of the girls on a personal level.

*The middle of end of the plot was quite exciting reading about the girls on the "chase" of a lifetime.


Who Should Read It:
*The novel is geared toward upper elementary and middle-school readers.  I know there shouldn't be stories for boys and girls, but in my opinion I do think the female reader will enjoy the story a bit more being they could relate to both girls.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3/4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment