Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 8, 2023

When Sea Becomes Sky by Gillian McDunn

How I Heard About It:
*I have always enjoyed Gillian McDunn's stories that she has written for young readers.  It was a thrill to obtain an ARC of her upcoming middle-grade novel which will be released in February 2023.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Bex, the wonderful older sister.

*Meet Davey, the quiet little brother who adores his older sister.

*The siblings spend as much time together and especially love summer time on the water.

*This particular summer they discover a statue that had been placed under the water.  

*They set off on a "quest" to find out the true story of the statue that involves both the past and of course the future.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*I was hooked the minute I started reading.

*I can't remember a time reading about siblings who absolutely love each other and have each other's back.  Bex and Davey are two of a kind.

*The setting was beautiful and brought such visions to my mind.  

*As I was reading along, I had a moment of absolute shock.  I did not see "that" coming.

*The writing, characters, and plot were incredible, warm, and so thought-provoking.


Who Should Read It:
*A great novel for readers in grades three through five.  I think the story would make for an excellent class read aloud.  Students in grades six through eight would also enjoy just as much.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment