Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Hazel Hill Is Gonna Win This One by Maggie Horne

How I Heard About It:
*A middle-grade novel that has been in my TBR pile for quite some time now.  I picked it up the other day and found I could not put it down once I started.  This is a timely and important novel for young readers.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Hazel Hill is quite the busy girl getting ready for the upcoming speech tournament.

*Hazel wants to beat her "enemy" Ella who is in her class and won the tournament last year.  

*When Tyler tells Hazel that Ella likes her, Hazel isn't sure what to do with that information.

*After finding out the "truth", Hazel and Ella join forces to bring the truth about Tyler out in the open.

*It takes courage, guts, and determination, but Hazel knows the right thing to do and will stop at nothing to accomplish her goal.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections
*This upper-elementary story will be so important to many young girls.

*I thought the representation of the power of girls was the strongest "suit" of the book.

*The characters were real, authentic, and full of life.

*The theme/content/vocabulary was on the strong side and definitely geared toward a certain reader.

*The theme was standing up for what is right was woven from the first page to the very last one.


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the book for readers in grades six through eight.  The content can be heavy and serious, and I'm not sure it would be appropriate for the younger students.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment