Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Milo Speck, Accidental Agent by Linda Urban...

How I Heard About It:  I have enjoyed the novels written by Linda Urban.  I was excited to read her newest novel.  I was even more excited to read it when I saw many of my Twitter friends giving it rave reviews.  

What It Is About:  Milo loves magic, but he didn't think it would happen to him because of a sock.  After being "captured" by the dyer and thrown into a new world, Milo can't quite believe his luck.  Milo finds himself in a new land called Ogregon where all the people are larger than life.  This new world is quite bizarre and Milo works really hard to figure out what is going on here and how he can get himself back to the dyer.  He learns that his father is also in Ogregon and Milo makes it his mission to find and save him.  Having to keep away from the Ogre's isn't easy, but necessary.  They love little boys.  The longer he is in this land, he learns that many small children are also here.  As much as he wants to get back, he also wants to help these other children.  His biggest help comes from a new friend named Tuck and she helps him in his mission.

What I Thought Of It:  It always surprised me when I read a novel by an author of books I've read, and find it totally different from their other works.  This was the case with Milo.  The story is so different from anything Linda Urban has written before.  To me that is real talent.  This adventure story was fun to experience.  I loved all the adventures Milo had in this land of Ogres and all the surprises he came across.  The plot moved along quickly and I found myself wanting to read just one more chapter.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel for students in grades four through six.  Because of all the action and adventures, I know young readers will "eat" this novel up.  Milo will be a character they will come to love and want to read more about.  The novel could also make for a fun and engaging read aloud for students in grades three through five.  If you have read other novels by Linda Urban, then I highly recommend this newest book.  Happy Reading!


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment