Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wonder Wednesday #115 (Larger Than Life Lara by Dandi Daley Mackall)

Wonder Wednesday - Class Read Aloud Number Two

*After finishing our first read aloud, Circus Mirandus, I wasn't sure where to go for our second class shared reading.

*I normally pick new novels each year to read to my class, but I needed something short, quick, and powerful.  This was the perfect novel.

*Our school spent a lot of time this fall on "anti-bullying" activities.  This story addresses that along with some great story writing techniques.


*Once we finish the read aloud, my students fill out a reflection sheet.  I want them to record their thoughts about the story.  These reflection sheets are kept and compiled into a "booklet" at the end of the year.

*The booklet makes for a wonderful keep-sake of the stories we shared throughout the school year.

***WARNING:  There are a few spoilers included here!




*Here are a few thoughts that my listeners had...

I thought this book was…

*Great because at the ending it said "Other schools need a larger than life Lara too" and I liked this ending.  
*Kinda sad because Joey Gilbert put water balloons on Lara.  
*Interesting because I never have heard a story like this one before.  


I liked it when…


*Lara joined their class because at first people were being mean but when she left everyone was sad.   
*They did the play "FairDay" because it sounded like an interesting play.  
*Everyone made a sign for Lara because it was a sweet thing to do.  


My favorite character was…


*Joey Gilbert because he was the character to make the story interesting and suspenseful.
*Lara because she was nice and helped a lot and was forgiving.  
*Laney because at the end she was trying to get Lara to come back.  

My favorite part in the story was…


*When Luke came and watched Laney in the play because her brothers would just judge and laugh, but this time he was nice and supported her.  
*When the teacher told the class to RUN because normally you can't run in school.  
*When all the kids made signs for Lara because they were finally being nice for once.  


It was interesting when…


*When the balloons and pigs fell on Lara because I wasn't expecting that.  

*When Lara did most of the work for the play because she did a good thing for everyone even though they were not nice to her.  
*When Lara didn't get the part in the play because she was really good and should have gotten the part.  


I was frustrated when…

*I met Joey in the story because he was really mean to Lara.  
*Joey dumped the things on Lara because it was so mean and made me mad.  
*Lara left because she wasn't the one that did anything wrong and should have been able to stay.  


I give this book _____ stars!  

5 STARS =  15 Students
4 STARS =  7 Students
3 STARS =  1 Students
2 STARS =  0 Student
1 STAR =  0 Students 

No comments:

Post a Comment