Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness...

How I Heard About It:  I have read other novels by this author so I was curious to read his newest story.  There was also much positive praise for the book via Twitter so I knew it was going to be a good one.  

What It Is About:  Mikey is a senior in high school and only a couple of weeks from his prom and graduation.  He has a huge crush on Henna, but isn't sure if she shares the same interest in him as he does her.  Mikey's best friend is Jared who happens to be gay and he isn't sure if his feelings for Jared are just friendship or more.  While his group of friends is heading toward the end of their high school experience, more "strange" things begin happening again in their town.  They have experienced zombies, ghosts, and other unworldly creatures.  This time the kids are noticing that a group of certain high school kids are ending up dead and a strange blue "light" has been seen during each of these killings.  Mikey's group makes it their mission to survive these strange happenings and finish high school.  When a major event occurs during the prom, they aren't sure if this is going to be possible.  

What I Thought Of It:  While loving the other novels by this author, this particular story took me awhile to get into.  There are actually two plot lines going on at once.  One story is about Mikey and his friends.  The secondary story is about the "indie" kids that are being killed one by one.  I had a hard time understanding this second story, but as I got more and more into the book, it started to make sense.  I prefer the story of the "other" kids and reading about the relationships between Mikey, his friends and his family.  Overall this was an enjoyable read and I'm glad I spent time with it.  

Who Should Read It:  A perfect book for those readers who have read other titles by Ness.  I also believe it would be enjoyed by young adult readers that enjoy a mix of reality and fantasy.  For those readers that follow shows like "The Walking Dead" would also find this a satisfactory read.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment