Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, November 27, 2015

The Fairy Swarm (#6) by Suzanne Selfors...

How I Heard About It:  The Imaginary Veterinary Series is one of my favorites for middle-grade readers.  I have read all the books and enjoyed each one of them.  This is the final one and I was a bit sad to learn that the series was coming to an end.  

What It Is About:  Ben and Petal are back again for their final adventure in Buttonville.  They have spent the summer working for Dr. Woo and their tasks aren't over yet.  This time around, a swarm of fairies have arrived in town and are causing problems for everyone.  Petal and Ben are quickly on the "case" and want to do their very best in capturing these fairies to impress and help Dr. Woo.  The kids try to protect the people of Buttonville, catch the fairies, and keep one step ahead of of Victoria; the girl that is always getting in their way.  In addition, they must also "battle" the poacher Maximus Steele.  When the kids learn from the fate of Dr. Woo and the worm factory, they want to do their best even more.  Their good old friend (from book #1) will prove to be a valuable asset.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I mentioned above, I really enjoy this series.  I have also found my fourth grade readers from year to year really love it just as much.  It is awesome when young readers find a series that takes them from book #1 all the way through until the end filling them with wonder, enjoyment, and fun.  The final story in the series did not disappoint.  I enjoy the characters of Ben and Petal and loved their adventures in Buttonville.  The final story brought everything together and had quite the satisfactory ending.  It is exciting to me to have ALL six books in the series in my classroom library and know they will be read by many students.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion this is the perfect book/series for readers in fourth grade.  It could actually be used in grades three through five.  The stories have the perfect amount of text and illustrations.  The chapters are the perfect length along with the perfect length of the entire story.  This is definitely a series you need in your classroom.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment