Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs...

How I Heard About It:  I remember always seeing this title on the shelves at different book stores.  It always caught my attention, but I never bought it.  One day while browsing the audio books at the library, I came across the title.  I decided to give it a try as I was in need of a new audio book for my commute to and from work.  I also needed a new young-adult novel.  

What It Is About:  After Jacob's grandfather has a horrific death in front of him, he knows he must travel back to where it all started when his grandfather was a young boy.  He travels to an island off the coast of Wales where he visits the home of Miss Peregrine.  Miss Peregrine was here when Jacob's grandfather was a small boy.  He encounters more children here and they all seem to have some sort of peculiarity.  The biggest one being that they don't seem to age and are stuck in what they call a loop.  There are "two" sides of reality for Jacob.  One is in the real world as he knows it and one is in the world with Miss Peregrine and the children that live with her.  The more that Jacob gets to know these characters, the more he realizes how much danger they may be in.  He takes it upon himself to find out who is out to hurt them and do everything he can to keep them safe.

What I Thought Of It:  I wasn't sure what this story was even about when I checked out the audio from the library, and I was surprised by the plot of the story.  When it first started, I thought it was going to be a type of realistic fiction story.  The more I got into it, the more I realized how much this was a fantasy/mystery/horror story.  I really enjoyed listening to the narration and the more I listened the more I wanted to know.  There was a lot that went on in the story with many different characters which kept me on my "toes/ears" to keep everything straight.  The story was so good it made the drive to and from work a complete joy.  

Who Should Read It:  A young-adult novel that can be enjoyed by high school and adult readers alike.  There may even be some middle school readers that could handle the text and content of the story.  Readers of fantasy and horror stories will enjoy this first edition of the trilogy.  I already went to the library and got audio book #2 and am excited to start it tomorrow morning.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment