Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr...

How I Heard About It:  Last summer this book was starting to get some "buzz."  I downloaded it to my Kindle for our family cruise in July.  I started it while sailing the seas, but it didn't grab me so I went on to something else.  When a fellow book-clubber picked this novel for our BBC (Boy's Book Club), I was happy to give it another try.  

What It Is About:  A blind french girl.  A young german boy.  Both of these young people are growing up (or trying to) during the 1940's and WWII.  The blind girl lives with her father until they have to flee Paris to the safety of her uncle's home.  The boy is selected for a special school in Germany that will "train" the young men to protect their country.  After the girl's father has to return home and doesn't return, she remains with the uncle who hasn't left his home in years.  During this same time, the boy trains with the Germans and begins to cover as much land as they can.  The two young people struggle to survive and will eventually meet years after the war started.  

What I Thought Of It:  I have mixed feelings about this book.  It didn't hook me last summer and I didn't love the first half of it this second time around.  I don't think it is the fault of the novel, I think it is more me and not being "smart" enough to follow the beginning of the story and all of the WORDS.  I'm more of a reader who likes lots of dialogue and "action", and this wasn't that type of novel.  There was a lot of description, lots of complex vocabulary, and lots of imagery.  I made it a goal though to read the whole book (not skim and scan), and I'm glad I did.  There were parts throughout the novel, that I really enjoyed reading.  When I got about sixty percent through, I found myself in a groove and enjoyed the last one fourth of the book.

Who Should Read It:  This book was been on many "BEST OF" lists for 2014.  I'm glad I read it.  It was very well written, but just a little too hard for my taste.  If you are a fiction reader with lots of great description, but not a lot of dialogue, then this is the book for you.  I know I'm in the minority with my opinion of the book, so don't let that discourage you from reading this "buzzed" about book.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment