Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 28, 2016

All The Rage by Courtney Summers

How I Heard About It:  While surfing my "3M Cloud Library" app for a YA novel to "check-out" via my iPad, I came across this title.  I had never heard of it and/or seen anything about it.  After reading the summary, I decided to give it a try.  That is the wonderful thing about this app.  I can check out the book via my library card, give it a try, and check it back in if I don't like it.  The best part:  I'm not out any money!  

What It Is About:  The classic story of boy from the right side of the tracks and girl from the wrong side of the tracks.  Romy hasn't had it easy because of her upbringing, but has fit in with the "crowd" until a night with Kellan changes all of that.  He is the town "stud" and also the sheriff's son.  Romy has seen a different side of Kellan and tries to tell people, but no one believes her.  She becomes the outcast of the town.  Her only refuge is working at a diner in another town where they don't know her or the story that surrounds her.  After a local girl disappears, Romy might have to intervene and try to convince others that what she was saying was the truth and the same thing could have happened to this newest victim.  

What I Thought Of It:  Overall I liked this book.  It wouldn't be for everyone, but I have no problem reading about "tough" subject matters.  This isn't a pleasant story, but an important one to be told.  Summers doesn't hold back with the subject matter, the content, or the topic.  Romy is a complicated character and there were times when I liked her and times that I didn't.  To me this is a sign of great writing and excellent character development.  The entire reading experience was worth it for the very "shocking" conclusion.  

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a novel for older high school readers and/or adults.  Because of the subject matter and story line, I would say the reader should be in 11th or 12th grade and above.  I had never read anything else by this author, but would be inclined to after reading this novel.  Adult readers that enjoy YA, should definitely give this story a try.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment