Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 7, 2016

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown

How I Heard About It:  The pre-release buzz on this novel came mostly from Twitter.  More and more of my Twitter friends were raving about this story and posting how good it was.  The wait was long, but I was thrilled when it appeared on the shelf of my local book store.  

What It Is About:  What happens when a robot washes ashore on an island full of animals?  Well, a great adventure of course.  Roz is a robot and part of a larger shipment when the crate she is in lands on the shore of a deserted island. Roz is the only robot to have survived the ordeal.  Rox isn't sure where she has arrived, but is programmed to know quite a bit of information that will aid in her survival.  She meets many different animals and find that some of them do not like her at all; in fact they think she is a "monster".  After trying to prove to the island residents that she isn't a monster, she rescues a small goose and becomes the "mother" to this animal.  Although they make for an odd pair, they grow to love, support, and rely on each other to survive this island of animals and danger.  

What I Thought Of It:  My GoodReads account shows I started the book on one date and finished it the very next day.  This should show how much I loved this story.  I've never read anything like it and I enjoyed everything about it.  The premise of the story is quite different with a robot interacting with a cast of "wild" animals, but it worked perfectly.  There was a strong cast of characters, a strong plot that never stopped, and an adventure that I will remember for quite some time.  I also love how the ending certainly left room for a sequel.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm hoping to have time to share this novel as a read aloud before the end of the year.  My pile of stories that I want to share with my students is growing, but good thing I have a new crew heading into my classroom next fall.  This book would make for an incredible read aloud to students in grades three through six.  Readers in grades three and above would be able to handle it quite easily.  The chapters are short and there are many illustrations throughout the novel.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment