Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 3, 2020

A Place at the Table by Saadia Faruqi & Laura Shovan

How I Heard About It:
*I've been meaning to read this middle-grade story for quite some time.  I've had an ARC and an actual hard cover of the book.  I actually ended up listening to the story via Audible.  The narrators were wonderful!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Sara is a new sixth grader navigating new territory compared to her former Islamic school.  

*Elizabeth is also a sixth grader dealing with both friend and family issues.


*Sara and Elizabeth end up in the same after school cooking class.  They each ended up in the class for their own reasons.  

*When a cooking show announces a contest, both girls decide to join forces to win first prize.

*As they come up with the perfect recipe, the two girls learn about each other, their differences, and how they may be more alike than they realized.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Based on all the rave reviews, I was excited to begin listening to the story.  

*The characters, the plot, and the setting were all well written, realistic, and engaging.  

*I loved how the two girls came to know each other, formed a friendship, and faced challenges neither one of them should have been forced to deal with.  

*As a reader I learned so much about the Islam and British cultures.  Reading about their experiences, opened my eyes to the difficulties facing so many of our young people in our country.

*I'm always in awe of writers, but especially impressed when two "forces" come together and create a solid, heart-warming story.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think readers in grades four, five, and six would be ideal for the story.  The book should also be found in all middle-school classrooms and libraries.  If you are looking for a solid and strong audio experience, this is definitely a perfect choice.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment