Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Black Brother, Black Brother by Jewell Parker Rhodes

How I Heard About It:
*I remember attending a NCTE dinner and sitting at Jewell Parker Rhodes table.  She talked about a story she was working on.  That was this story.  I was thrilled to get an ARC at the next year's NCTE.  Even though I had the book, I decided to listen via Audible during my September commute to and from school.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Trey and Donte are twelve-year old brothers.  They attend Middlefield Prep which consists mostly of white students.

*Even though the two boys are brothers, Donte is darker skinned while Trey is lighter skinned.  This causes some major troubles for Donte.

*Donte always seems to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.  He doesn't understand why the other students and staff always assume the worst of him.

*After a "misunderstanding" at school, Donte is suspended and actually arrested.  

*He ends up joining a fencing group and it is through this experience he learns who he truly is and what he stands for.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*A wonderful and important story for all young readers to experience.

*As a fourth grade teacher, I've had many black boys in my class that I know have felt and experienced what Donte experienced in his life.  

*The relationship between the two brothers, being the "center" of the story, drove everything that each boy did and reacted to.  

*Every good story needs the antagonist and/or "villain", and Jewell Parker Rhodes certainly delivered with the Alan character.

*I loved the "life lessons" Donte learned from his fencing, and reminded me of my fencing class back in ninth grade. 


Who Should Read It:
*I believe all middle-school readers would be able to relate to Donte's story. For that reason, I would like to see a copy of the book in all middle-school libraries.  Fifth and sixth grade readers would also be a target audience for Rhodes' newest novel.  If you know a young black boy, this may be the perfect story for him.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment