Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Leaving Lymon by Lesa Cline-Ransome

How I Heard About It:
*After seeing many positive reviews about this middle-grade book, I decided to give it a try.  It was an Audible listen for me and quite enjoyable. I hadn't read the "first" book, but not sure it made a difference with this companion story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The author brings the reader back to 1946 and the deep south.

*Lymon is a young boy who doesn't have the best reputation in town.

*Lymon's father is spending time in the "pen" and his mother hasn't been in his life.


*For most of his life, he has lived with his grandparents, but when he is forced to head north to live with his mother, Lymon's life is in upheaval.  

*Once with his mother, Lymon must figure out who he is and what he wants to stand for.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I loved the narration.  

*The start-up of the story was a bit slow and I began to have my doubts about the book.

*Once I got into the plot, I enjoyed getting to know Lymon and learning about life in the late 1940's.

*There were times when I thought it might have been helpful to have read the first book in the series, but overall everything made sense.

*My heart hurt for Lymon when he was with his mother and her new husband, but know it was an accurate picture for that time period.  


Who Should Read It:
*Of course readers of Finding Langston will definitely want to continue the story of Lymon.  Because of the pacing and quiet nature of the plot, I would recommend the novel for readers in grades five and above.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment