Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 15, 2020

The In-Between by Rebecca Ansari

How I Heard About It:
*After reading The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly, I knew I wanted to reach out to the author to invite her to our "Breakfast with Books".  When I found out she was a Minneapolis author, I was over the top excited to have her join my readers in person.  I recently finished her upcoming second novel due out in the world in January 2021.  The new story lived up to everything I experienced during the first book and more.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The main character Cooper is a young boy who has had to deal with a lot in his lifetime, including divorced parents and a lost connection with a friend.


*As the story opens, Cooper has noticed a young girl next door who sits on a swing set starring and not saying a word.  

*Even though in the past, Cooper has found his younger sister, Jess, annoying and a pain, he confides in her about the girl and how strange he finds the situation.  

*The two siblings join forces to figure out who the girl is and why some people can see her and others can't.  

*The more they "investigate" the more they uncover about past tragedies, forgotten children, and a disaster that may be headed their way.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was a fan of Rebecca Ansari after reading The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly.  After finishing her sophomore novel, I'm an even bigger fan.

*The plot was engaging, well-paced, and kept my interest from the first page to the very last.

*I was so intrigued by the "in-between" and what it was and what it "wasn't".  

*Rebecca certainly did her research about historical events and wove them into this magical realism story about a young boy searching for answers not only about his own life, but those around him.

*As much as I rushed to the end to "find out", I also didn't want the story to end.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the book to readers in grades four, five, and six.  The story would also be perfect for those readers in seventh and eighth grade.  I'm thinking of using the book as a class read aloud, but would also be incredible to put in the hands of as many readers as possible.  I know adult readers would also find it a satisfying story to experience.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment