Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 31, 2020

One Last Shot by John David Anderson

How I Heard About It:
*I am a HUGE fan of John David Anderson and his novels.  I was so excited when I found out he had a new story out for 2020.  With a high pile of TBR books, I didn't get to the novel as soon as I hoped to, but once I did, I was all in.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story centers around young Malcolm who is the only child of his two parents who don't always get along.

*As much as he would like to, Malcolm can't bring himself to enjoy baseball as much as his father would like him to.  


*Once he quits baseball, Malcolm finds himself relieved and at peace.  Then he and his dad discover "mini-golf" and Malcolm is back in the world of competition.  

*Malcolm enjoys this new sport, but just wants to play for fun.  His father has other plans.

*While "training" for a tournament, Malcolm meets a new coach, a new friend, and finds out new information about his parents and their family.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*When I heard the story was about mini-golf, I wasn't so sure what I was in store for.  I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed EVERYTHING about the story.

*As a kid, I was never very good at sports, so I could relate to Malcolm and what he dealt with.

*The story is so much more than about sports.  John David Anderson addresses family, friendship, secrets, and learning to love yourself.  So many wonderful and touching life-lessons.

*I enjoyed Malcolm's relationship with both the coach and his new friend.  They added greatly to the story.

*Even though issues with parents can be difficult, Anderson did a tremendous job of writing about Malcolm, his parents, and what they all had to deal with.  


Who Should Read It:
*The novel would be perfect for a class read aloud.  In fact, I'm thinking of using it this year in my fourth grade classroom.  Individual readers in grades four through six would be ideal for the story.  Middle-school readers would also find enjoyment and satisfaction with Malcolm and his journey.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment