Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 31, 2020

The Only Black Girls in Town by Brandy Colbert

How I Heard About It:
*A fellow "nerdy" reader recommend this novel to me.  I had a stack of books to read, so I decided to listen to the story during my commute to and from work.  Both the narration and the story were excellent.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Alberta is a surfer who loves the water and the beach.  She is also the only black girl in her small town.  

*When Edie, another black girl, moves in across the street, Alberta couldn't be more thrilled.  



*The two of them form a fast friendship.  

*Alberta's best friend Laramie isn't sure how she feels about the new girl Edie and what their friendship means for her and Alberta.  

*When Edie and Alberta find some old journals in the bed and breakfast in which Edie and her mother are living in, not only are their lives changed, but also those closely around them.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, the narration of the story was excellent and so easy to listen to.

*I enjoyed the story and getting to know the three main characters.

*As with any good middle-grade novel, the "mean" girl was portrayed with accuracy and grit.  

*The historical fiction aspect of the plot added greatly to the present day story.  

*While there was nothing new or out of the box about the "friendships", the story moved at a great pace, the characters were strong, and several life-lessons were presented.  


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, this would be a perfect novel to put in the hands of a female reader in grades five through eight.  I think they would be able to relate to all the female characters and what they had to deal with.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment