Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

How I Heard About It:
*Seems to be the novel that has all the book "buzz" this fall. I was looking for a novel to select for BBC (Boy's Book Club) and decided to go with Backman's newest work of fiction.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*A bank robbery gone awry.

*A hostage situation during an apartment open house.

*A father/son detective team set out to solve the "mystery".


*A cast of characters that each possess their own "anxiety" and outlook on the world.

*Bring them all together and you have Fredrik Backman's novel in a "nutshell".  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The start-up of the story was strong, engaging, and pulled me in.

*The overall mystery of the hostage situation held my interest. 

*The few "twists and turns" surprised and amazed me.

*Some of the pages describing the lives of the hostages lost my attention and I did a bit of scanning.

*Overall, I enjoyed the story, but didn't think it was as strong and entertaining as some of the previous novels by Backman.  


Who Should Read It:
*I do think fans of Fredrik Backman would enjoy the story.  I also think readers of character-driven stories would also be an audience for the novel.  The read was fun, different, and a bit quirky.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment