Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 3, 2020

American as Paneer Pie by Supriya Kelkar

 How I Heard About It:
*I feel like I've been seeing this cover for quite some time.  When a fellow reader recommended the story to me, I downloaded the audio version on Audible.  Once I started listening, I couldn't stop.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*School is hard enough, but when you are the only Indian American, fitting in can be even more difficult.  

*Lekha tries her best to keep her culture, heritage, and family customs from ever entering the four walls of the school building.  


*When Avantika moves in, Lekha is thrilled to have another student that looks like her.  

*Once Avantika begins school, Lekha isn't sure having her there will help her being one of the girls.

*As much as Lekha wants to "blend" in, Avantika shows her how rewarding it can be to "stand out".  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*A complete joy to listen to with a thought-provoking and powerful story.

*The reading was fascinating to read about two girls with similar backgrounds and how differently they went about "fitting in".

*Avantika was a unique, strong, and incredible role-model for all young children, especially girls.

*The plot moved along at a perfect pace and I never lost interest in the story while always wanting more.

*Many important life-lessons were presented throughout the story and would lead to deep and meaningful discussions.  


Who Should Read It:
*The book could easily be put in the hands of fourth, fifth, and sixth grade readers along with seventh and eighth graders.  Every young reader would benefit from getting to know Lekha and Avantika.  I think the story would make for a wonderful class read aloud.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment