Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 15, 2020

What Stars Are Made Of by Sarah Allen

 How I Heard About It:
*I think I picked up this ARC during last November's NCTE convention in Baltimore.  It sat in my ARC Pile since.  I finally pulled it out and began reading.  I usually did the reading before bed which wasn't good because I kept falling asleep.  Hybrid teaching is wiping me out.  It took me longer to read because of the much needed sleep.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Twelve year-old Libby is really good at some things and not so great at others.  Overall, she doesn't let the setbacks both her.  



*Being born with Turner Syndrome makes some tasks more difficult for Libby than other children her age.  

*When her older sister becomes pregnant, Libby strikes a deal with the "universe" to ensure the baby will be born health without Turner syndrome.

*She enters a science contest with the hopes of winning the prize money to help out her sister's family.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I learned a lot about science, space, and Cecilia Payne.  

*Before reading the book, I was not familiar with Turner Syndrome.  The author did a phenomenal job of incorporating the medical condition into the overall story.

*I enjoyed getting to know Libby and found her uplifting and a strong role model for young girls similar to herself.

*The family that surrounded Libby were a family that all children deserve.  

*There were a few spots where I thought the "action" slowed down a bit, but then something would happen that would draw me back in.  


Who Should Read It:
*The story would be best suited for readers in upper elementary and of course the middle-school reader.  I think some high-school readers may also enjoy the book.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment