Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Wonder Wednesday #349 (Bookclub COVID Style)

 Wonder Wednesday - Breakfast with Books #ONE

*There are so many parts of teaching which are different this school year.

*One element of my classroom that I wasn't willing to let go of was our "Breakfast with Books" book club.  

*I wasn't quite sure how I was going to make it work, but I knew I wanted to find a way.




*In the past, I announced a selection, the fourth graders read the book, and we gathered in our classroom with book in hand and breakfast treats abound.  If we weren't lucky enough to have the author join our discussion in person, then they were front and center on the big screen via Skype.  

*That scenario wasn't going to play out during the 2020/21 school year.  

*On Thursday, October 8th the readers gathered via Zoom before school.  They brought their own breakfast, found a comfy spot with their screen, and were ready to talk all things "quirks".

*For the past many years, Erin Soderberg has made the trek to the suburbs of Minneapolis to join "Breakfast with Books".  This year she didn't have to go further than her living room.

*The readers had the chance to share comments and ask questions about the first story in the Quirks series.

*It wasn't quite like being in person, but we made it work, and I know the readers had a great time and are now ready to continue the story with books #2, #3, and #4.  One reader asked me if we could convince Erin to write a fifth story, but I told her I didn't think that was going to happen based on what the author has stated in the past.

*We are excited for her "PEACH" release in the spring of 2021.  

*Here are some images of our time with the wonderful Erin Soderberg...









No comments:

Post a Comment