Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite young-adult novels is Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.  The story was one that stuck with me for quite some time.  It was exciting to learn that Saenz had a new novel.  It has been on my TBR list for quite some time, and I finally got around to reading it.  This author sure can write.  

What It Is About:  Sal (Salvador) is heading into his senior year.  Life has been good with his gay father and the surrounding loving and surrounding family.  Sal has always depended on his best friend Sam (Samantha).  Sal is worried about his father.  An old "friend" of his has returned to town after leaving years earlier.  He and his father are concerned about Mima (grandmother) and the diagnosis she has just received.  When a tragic event takes Sam's mother away, she moves in with Sal and his father.  The three of them begin to form a new type of family.  To round out this high-school friendship, Sal and Sam take in Fito who is a best friend to Sal.  Each of them is dealing with tough issues in their lives and they rely on each other for support, love, and advice.  

What I Thought Of It:  I enjoy the writing style of Benjamin Alire Saenz.  He is perfect with his word choice and brings the reader directly into the center of the story.  There were so many aspects of this story I enjoyed.  I thought the relationship between Sal and his father was one of a kind.  There was something very special about the bond between this father and his son.  The friendship between Sal and Sam was tender, funny, and quite special.  They each brought so much to each other's lives.  Even though there were quite a bit of "sad" moments woven throughout the story, there was always a sense of hope and encouragement.  These three young people sure found their way into my mind and above that my heart.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel for the young-adult reader.  I would especially say the high school reader.  There are many aspects of the plot that many readers this age would be able to relate to.  If you are an adult reader that read Aristotle and Dante, then I highly recommend this newest work of fiction.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment