Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wonder Wednesday #188 (Skype Visits)

Wonder Wednesday - Skype Visits  

*One of my most favorite teaching moments is when we Skype with an author of a book we have read.

*The book is either from our class read aloud and/or our Breakfast with Books Book Club Selection.


*I have made it a personal goal of mine to Skype with all the authors of our class read aloud and book club books.  This year we have been pretty close and have had some wonderful experiences.

*During a recent district professional day I was to present with a co-worker about connecting the reader (the fourth grader) to the writer (the author).

*I was excited to share my experiences with Skype visits over the last several years.  Our presentation was going to include Abby Cooper and Erin Soderberg.  Abby was going to be with us in person and Erin via Skype.

*Unfortunately our session did NOT get a lot of teachers who signed up and we decided to cancel the presentation.  Oh well, their loss.  I knew it was going to be a really "fun" and "informative" session.

*These Skype visits have taken my readers and brought them to a whole different level.  I'm so proud, happy, and fulfilled when I think about all the experiences that my readers have had.

*As part of the presentation, we were going to share with the group student input about what they remembered, gained, and enjoyed about the Skype visits they participated in.

*I interviewed my current fourth graders, readers I had last year (fifth grade), and readers I had two years ago (sixth grade).  They were all excited and very willing to share their thoughts and memories.

*If interested, please click on the following links to see some of the student comments about our Skype visits over the last several years...






No comments:

Post a Comment