Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Any Day with You by Mae Respicio

How I Heard About It:
*I love summer reading because the extra time gives me the opportunity to get to titles that I have been meaning to read for quite some time.  I received this ARC back in November when I was at #NCTE19 in Baltimore.  Before I head back to school, I'm trying to get a middle-grade book read in a day.  My summer #bookaday.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Isn't what we all hope for is "any day with you".  Spending a day with that special relative we hold close to our heart.



2.  *That is what Kaia wishes for:  to spend time with her Filipino great grandfather.  

3.  *Kaia is the middle child in her family and doesn't fell like she measures up like her perfect older sister and her funny and adorable younger brother.  She hopes the time spent with her great grandfather will change that.  

4.  *She also hopes she finds her spot in the world during summer camp with her two best friends.  The creative arts camp is holding a contest for movie making and Kaia wants to win first place.  

5.  *Her summer is going according to plan until she finds out her "Tatang" decides he is going to return to his homeland, the Philippines, to spend his remaining days.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I had read Mae's first book The House That Lou Built and enjoyed the story.  I was looking forward to reading her second story.  

2.  *I enjoyed the relationship Kaia and her great grandfather had.  It was quite special and everyone needs a grand father like hers in their own life.  

3.  *Kaia's two best friends were also a sweet spot for me.  They brought such life, energy, and laughs to the story.  

4.  *The theme of finding yourself, your strengths, and your place in the world was profoundly explored in the pages of the story.  

5.  *Family and friends are all we really have in the world and if we can't relay on them, then who or what do we have?  I know this topic could be discussed while sharing the story with young readers.  


Who Should Read It:
*The story line is a bit slow at parts and I would describe the story as a character study.  Because of this, I would recommend the novel to fifth and sixth grade readers.  It would also be appropriate for the middle-school student.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment