Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Blue Skies by Anne Bustard

How I Heard About It:
*This is another ARC I've had in my collection of TBR titles since #NCTE19 in Baltimore last November.  I have enjoyed working my way through the stack of books during my summer 2020 reading.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The author takes the reader back in time to a small American town reeling from the loss of many of their own men during WWII.  

2.  *Glory Bea is one such girl, but knows her father will return and return one day soon.  


3.  *She has been waiting for years, but knows this is the summer he will return during the small-town celebration when the "Friendship Train" comes through town.

4.  *While she waits, she does her best to be a "match-maker" for her two friends that she knows she be together because they like each other so much.  Or do they?  

5.  *Glory Bea is not happy when a friend of her father's arrives in town and seems to be trying to step into her dad's shoes, and she is not having any part of that.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was a beautiful historical fiction story and I absolutely loved it.

2.  *I found Glory Bea to be heart-warming, special, and unique.  Her relationships with her friends were quite special too.  

3.  *The mystery of Glory Bea's father, his friend, and what happened during the War in France kept me reading and turning page after page after page.

4.  *I enjoyed reading and learning about small-town life in the late 1940's.  It certainly was a simpler and most likely better period of time in our country's history.  

5.  *The transformation Glory Bea took from the beginning of the story until the conclusion was a meaningful and important journey that I know young readers will enjoy.  


Who Should Read It:
*Historical fiction lovers definitely need to experience the story of Glory Bea and her family.  Not only middle-school readers would be ideal for the novel, but I would also recommend the book to children in grades four through six.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment