Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 10, 2020

The Wonder of Wildflowers by Anna Staniszewski

How I Heard About It:

I've had this book in my pile for quite some time.  I've been reading to read the story for quite some time.  I finally grabbed the book off the pile, started reading yesterday and finished today.  I could not put it down.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Amberland is a special place.  The residents of this "country" have access to Amber which enables them to be the best version of themselves.

2.  *Mira and her family aren't originally from this country which means they don't have access to the Amber like the citizens of the country.  


3.  *All Mira has wanted since moving to Amberland, is the ability to take her daily dose of Amber as her classmates are able to.  

4.  *Once Mira, and her professional parents, are granted citizenship, Mira believes everything will work out perfectly for not only for herself, but some of her classmates as well.

5.  *Being the "outsider" taught Mira a lot, but once she becomes an "insider", she learns even more about herself, doing the right thing, and the world in which she lives.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I wasn't expecting the fantasy element to the story.  Normally, I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but with this novel, I absolutely loved it.

2.  *On the surface, the story may seem like a simple plot about kids wanting to take a medication that will make them perfect.  There is so much more within the pages of the book.  

3.  *As I mentioned, once I began, I was HOOKED. I could not stop reading.  I wanted to find out what was going to happen and what Mira was going to do.

4.  *The topics of racism, immigration, politics, and citizenship are presented in the most kid friendly way I think I've ever seen.  

5.  *Not only is the story enjoyable and a page-turner, but the events in the book will lead to some deep and meaningful discussions.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the book to all middle-grade readers.  I can't imagine a young reader not enjoying what the story has to offer.  I'm thinking of using the novel either as a class read aloud or a "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  Readers in graders four through six, and middle-school, would be ideal for the book.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment