Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 8, 2020

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

How I Heard About It:
*This seems to be the novel everyone is talking about this summer.  My sister read the novel and LOVED it.  She brought it over to my house because she wanted me to read it as well.   


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The Vignes twins grew up in a small southern town until they were sixteen years old.  

2.  *When they turned sixteen, they ran away from not only their family, but the entire town.  


3.  *Stella, the twin who could pass as white, never returns to the small town.  

4.  *Desiree, the darker twin, returns home with a daughter who is described as "darker than tar."  

5.  *Each sister lives an entirely different life, but yet always connected to each other and their past.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was so excited and thrilled going into the story because of all the rave and positive reviews.  

2.  *When I first began the story, I was interested and intrigued about the missing twins and what would happen.  

3.  *Once one twin returned home, and one ventured to California, I wasn't as invested in the story as I thought I would be.  

4.  *I hate to categorize books for males and females, but after finishing the book, I realized this particular story may be more geared toward the female reader.  Just my opinion.  

5.  *The writing was excellent, strong, and quite descriptive.  Brit Bennett is a talented writer.  


Who Should Read It:
*Based on all the five star reviews, positive book buzz, and chatter about the novel, I would say most adult readers will find great satisfaction with the story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  
3 STARS out of 5 Stars 



No comments:

Post a Comment