How I Heard About It:
*This upcoming middle-grade novel came to me via my Twitter #bookexpedition reading group. I waited a long time for my turn and was extremely excited and happy when the ARC arrived in the mail. I couldn't wait to get started reading.
What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1. *Zinnia, Zinny, is our main character, and one of four children in the Manning family.
2. *Life for them had been pretty typical, until the oldest brother Gabriel attends college and suffers from a mental illness.
3. *After he is diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder, the family dynamics are thrown into a tailspin and each member of the family handles the situation in their own personal way.
4. *Zinny has a difficult time adjusting to her "new" life both at home and at school.
5. *She has to navigate new interactions with her siblings, parents, and even some kids at school who she considered her true friends.
What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1. *I have read many of Barbara Dee's books and loved them all. This new title measured up and will stand as one of her best.
Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the story for readers in grades five and six, along with the middle-school student. Some mature fourth grade readers would also be great for the book. I could see the story being used a class read aloud and/or book club selection as the plot would lead to deep and meaningful discussions. Happy Reading!
Rating: 4 STARS out of 5 Stars