Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Things Seen From Above by Shelley Pearsall

How I Heard About It:
*I have had the ARC of this middle-grade book for quite some time.  I got it at a cc convention, maybe #NCTE19, and never read it.  I finally downloaded it on Audible and completely enjoyed the story over the last week or so during my summer morning walks.  




What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *April, a sixth grader, hates recess because of the "social scene".

2.  *She volunteers for the "buddy bench" program where the older kids look out for the younger kids at school.  
3.  *Joey Byrd, a fourth grader, hates recess because he isn't like the other kids.  

4.  *The kids at school aren't sure what Joey is doing as he wanders the playground dragging his feet in the dirt, but overtimeApril figures it out.  

5.  *April does her best to make sure Joey's "talent" is recognized not only for himself, but for the rest of the student population.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I loved this story and enjoyed every minute of the audio.  

2.  *April and Joey were two amazing, wonderful, and unique characters I've had the honor of "meeting".

3.  *The story was told from the point of view of April in Joey in two different and special ways.  Their voices really came through.  

4.  *The themes of friendship, kindness, and seeing the world with a new viewpoint, with resonant with the young reader.  

5.  *I loved how the "outsiders" find their special place in the world.  


Who Should Read It:
*This middle-grade story must be shared with as many young readers as possible.  The book would make for an excellent class read aloud, a book club selection, or to put in the individual hands of readers.  This is a story they won't soon forget.  I can't wait to share it with my fourth graders during the 2020/21 school year.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment